This article first appeared in Issue 12 of IFLScience’s free digital magazine CURIOUS.
The devil’s tooth fungus appears to bleed as it grows, releasing a type of sap.
This bleeding part of the mushroom is called the pore juice, and it gives the white, beige, pink, and sometimes blue mushroom its other nickname, the bleeding tooth fungus.
Although the mushroom looks good enough to eat, the taste is supposed to be so bitter that it is practically inedible.
It might not be the prettiest mushroom, but it does have character.
Other uses for the fungus include food, dyes, and medicines.